WLBR and WQIC Radio
Shortly before WLBR went on the air in 1946, we were asked to outline our purposes and aims. Our reply was published as follows:
“We want to play a telling part in all local, civic, and public affairs; we want to be a vital part of the community; we want to be a real public service institution. We propose to broadcast the finest in the way of news programs, entertainment, music, agricultural features, educational programs, civic functions, religious broadcasts and programs relating to home-making and the family unit. In addition, we are keeping abreast of all new developments in the radio field and when FM and television revivers are made available to the citizens of this community, WLBR will be prepared to serve its listeners with the new broadcasting media.”
How well we have kept this pledge is common to all regular WLBR listeners. We had been operating little more than a year when we added FM to our broadcast facilities.
In the meantime, WLBR had not rested on it laurels. From the beginning we were becoming increasingly plagued with limited hours of operation – daytime only, from sunrise to sunset. So, in 1948 we began preparation of an application for unlimited time. This was granted by the Federal Communications Commission in March of 1950, and construction was begun immediately. Among other things, it was necessary to change our transmitter site from Cleona to Ebenezer and erect two new antenna towers 220 feet high. This construction was completed in August 1950. Since that time WLBR has been enabled to remain on the air every night until midnight.
WLBR has achieved success through adherence to sound business principles and emphasis on public service. Since our first year of operation the expansion of the company has been most gratifying. Our business has doubled; our staff has grown from fifteen to thirty employees, and our weekly payroll has tripled. Our success was made possible only through the zeal and cooperation of executive staff and employees, the interest and loyalty of our listeners, and the faith and confidence of our clients.
TO OUR EMPLOYEES. We thank you for a good job well done.
TO OUR LISTENERS. We dedicate a continued service in the interest of the public.
TO OUR CLIENTS. We pledge a more determined effort in behalf of your future prosperity.
Did you know…
- WLBR went on the air on November 13, 1946
- WQIC, our FM station, was formerly WUFM and went on the air in February of 1948
- Initially, WLBR had a power output of 1000 watts sunrise to sunset
- WLBR went Fulltime, unlimited hours in March of 1950
- The original tower and transmitter was located at Hill Church in Cleona
- The tower and transmitter site was moved to its present location in Ebenezer in August, 1950, with 2 new towers standing 220 feet in height
- Two additional towers were added in 1962 which enabled the power to be increased to 5000 watts
- The original studios were on the 4th floor of the Central Building at 8th and Cumberland Streets, which currently houses Northwest Bank
- The current studios in Ebenezer were constructed in 1956
Our Mission statement in 1946:
We want to play a telling part in all local, civic and public affairs; we want to be a vital part of the community; we want to be a real public service institution. We propose to broadcast news, music, sports, educational programs, civic functions, religious programs and programs relating to home-making and the family unit.
These values still exist at Lebanon Broadcasting today!